Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tomorrow I Quit Cable

My cable and internet bill is roughly $100 a month, in a couple months that will be going to $140, if not more.  For a single guy in an apartment, this isn't really small change, I could be using the money for something a little more fun .... like beer.

I sat down and looked at what I was watching, I realized that most of it was being broadcasted for free in HD.  The rest of it (the one of two shows that are not broadcasted) I can easily get from iTunes or Amazon Video on Demand.

If I drop cable, my bill will end up being just south of $60.  Today that is a $40 dollar savings and in the comings months will be $80.  That is close to $1000 a year!  That is a lot of beer money!

I hope to be posting about my experience on this blog, hoping to help others out as they look to save money.  Some of the coming topics include:
  • Building a Media Center PC
  • Streaming TV (free, and yes legal)
  • Dealing with no ESPN
  • And more ...
In addition to my findings while quitting cable, my good friend is going through the same process and will also be documenting his experience on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. HA! This feels like a trend. We just quit cable, too. They are calling us "cord cutters." I'm blogging our experiences with the transition at www.unthinkability.com

    ReplyDelete